Building the Bliptronome v0.1 and 0.2

So here is the followup to my last Bliptronome post. As I said I bought a bliptronic-5000 from thinkgeek over christmas break and was working on it back at home. I didn’t have very much for spare parts or tools, so I had to make due with that I had.

Here is the box it comes in. Try to contain your excitement.
monome clone from bliptronic-5000

Here is my first prototype. I learned a lot with this, not the least being that using old ide cables can be a very frustrating way to prototype. After re-wiring the arduino 3 or 4 times I finally tested the cable only to find that 5 of the pins were all grounded internally (somehow). I ended up with the breadboard here and it worked out for a test.
monome clone from bliptronic-5000

Since the ide cable failed I ended up taking the female header off of the scrap board and mounting some solid core wire to it.
monome clone from bliptronic-5000

This is the top of the the button board.
monome clone from bliptronic-5000
more gory details after the break